Thursday 9 June 2011

X-Men - First Class (2011)

Well after a very successful 3 X-Men films under their belt, I was a bit cautious about a prequel. I know that as a bit of an X-Fan, I knew that there were so many great story lines out there that they could expand on and turn into great films.

I was still excited about seeing this film. Even though I thought that the trailers didn't look too great for this film, I was still looking forward to it being released.

The film starts out with some great insight to the main characters of this film, and most of the 3 that have already been and gone, Charles Xavier (Professor X) and Erik Lensherr (Magneto). One of the characters also forms an unlikely friendship that I can't remember being explored in the cartoon (I was always a cartoon fan, not a comic fan). It soon skips to modern day (well modern day being the 60s) and these 2 characters are soon brought together and history is made.

The continuing story line revolves around mutants, no shock there, and the Cuban missile crisis. For me, the story line isn't great. There's no imagination to the story line.

There appeared to be no imagination in this film. I understand that most of the characters have already been designed for the big screen, but there was a lot of new mutants we hadn't seen before in a film, and there didn't seem to be anything original about (well as original as they could be bearing in mind they're all comic book characters!).


There was small things that I noticed and wasn't keen on - like the first X-Man was Cyclops and he wasn't even mentioned in this film, the only connection was his brother Havoc and him being one of the first.

There were some other small bits like Nightcrawler's father, the cameo of Wolverine (played by Hugh Jackman) and the interesting switch of Mystique.

I don't think that there's anything new about this, and nor was I actually interested in how the X-Men actually come about. I would have much preferred a continuation with the X-Men (although I think that would be quite difficult now as they seem to have killed most of them off).

I give this film 2.5 / 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment